Sore gums and weak enamel are at the root of most oral health problems. So any toothpaste that tackles them is well worth considering. Plus Oral B products are some of the most commonly recommended and used by UK dentists!
And choice of toothpaste does matter. Many studies reveal a close link between inflamed gums and bodily disease. So looking after your mouth protects more than just your oral health.
This article takes a look at Oral B Gum and Enamel Repair Toothpaste to help you decide whether it’s the right toothpaste or you.
We look at what makes a good toothpaste, why it’s crucial for a toothpaste to protect your enamel and gums and whether Oral B Gum and Enamel Repair lives up to its claims.
What makes a good Toothpaste?
Firstly, cleaning power. This is provided by abrasives. But if abrasives are too harsh they damage tooth enamel. The result can be cavities and discolouration as the yellow dentin beneath starts to show through.
So at the very least toothpaste must be mildly abrasive and contain an ingredient to replenish and strengthen tooth enamel. This is usually fluoride at a concentration of at least 1000 parts per million (ppm).
Most of us have other oral health concerns that we want toothpaste to address. Therefore, many toothpastes contain an array of ingredients that protect your smile in a bewildering variety of ways.
The taste of these ingredients would be unpleasant and a good toothpaste will be flavoured with artificial sweeteners (which do not cause decay).
Last, but by no means least, a great toothpaste must be enjoyable to use as well as effective. If brushing is a pleasure and gives noticeable results then you will be more committed to a good oral hygiene regime. Factors that influence this are taste and texture.
|Factors making a good toothpaste||Oral B Gum and Enamel Repair|
|Contains at least 1000ppm fluoride||Stannous Fluoride 1100ppm + Sodium Fluoride 350ppm = 1450ppm|
|Relative Dentin Abrasivity||Not yet tested|
|Makes you want to use it||Mild mint/cinnamon taste, fresh mouth feel.|
Pros and Cons
- Contains stannous fluoride which combats plaque, gingivitis, sensitivity and cavities
- Delivers more stannous than Oral B Pro Expert
- Provides 72% greater reduction in gum problems than ordinary toothpastes.
- Protects and strengthens enamel
- Antibacterial action protects gums
- Claims to rejuvenate gums and enamel in two weeks
- Mild minty medicinal flavour
- Contains sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS) and propylene glycol (can be irritants for some individuals)
- Rather thin texture
Oral B Gum & Enamel Repair is a great toothpaste to significantly reduce gum problems and repair tooth enamel. It contains stannous fluoride which also has antibacterial properties and inhibits plaque build-up.
The addition of stannous fluoride also makes it suitable for anyone with sensitivity. However, if you are sensitive to SLS or propylene glycol, these ingredients may cause irritation. They are widely used in cosmetic products so it is likely you will already know if they are an issue for you.
Oral B is a highly respected brand among dental professionals and its toothpastes and brushes are widely recommended and used by dentists in the UK. Hence you can have confidence in its efficacy.
Six Things you need to know about Oral B Gum and Enamel Repair
1. Can toothpaste repair enamel and gums?
Tooth enamel is made from minerals and is under constant attack from:
- Acids in what we eat or drink
- Acids produced by bacteria after we eat sugary food or carbs
- Abrasives in toothpaste
These processes dissolve or erode the minerals in tooth enamel. This is called demineralisation.
Toothpastes can repair tooth enamel by remineralising the enamel.
Gums are a different story.
If bacteria builds up along the gum line, the body inflames the area to warn us something is wrong. This is known as gingivitis which develops into periodontitis if not treated. Gums can recede and pull away from the teeth forming pockets. These pockets are breeding grounds for more bacteria causing more recession and eventually tooth loss.
When gum tissue is lost it cannot be regrown or repaired. However, it is possible to restore the health of gum tissue to prevent further shrinkage and loss.
2.Does Oral B Gum and Enamel Repair Toothpaste work?
Yes, mainly through the action of stannous fluoride.
Fluoride is a natural mineral. There are three types and all remineralise tooth enamel and prevent cavities. But only stannous fluoride also protects against bacteria build up, plaque, gingivitis and sensitivity.
Procter and Gambol (who manufacture Oral B) pioneered the use of Stannous Fluoride and have been developing its use to improve oral health since the 1950s.
Oral B Gum & Enamel Repair uses a blend of two forms of stannous (stannous fluoride and stannous chloride). It both remineralises tooth enamel and builds a protective layer to guard against further erosion and sensitivity.
Oral B Gum and Enamel Repair delivers 70% more stannous to your gums than Oral B Pro Expert. Resulting in a reduction in bacteria and protection against future bacteria and plaque build-up.
As the volume of bacteria in your mouth goes down, inflammation and bleeding ease. Better still, by preventing the redevelopment of bacteria and plaque, gum health has a chance to improve before reinfection can take hold.
The British Dental Journal claims it provides a 72% greater reduction in gum problems than ordinary pastes.
3.How soon will I see results?
This is a tricky question to answer as we are all unique. We respond differently to different products and have varying levels of oral health when we start to use a new toothpaste.
However, Oral B claim that enamel will be stronger and gums noticeably healthier in two weeks, when used as directed.
4.How does it taste?
The taste is mild and only slightly minty. It has more of a medicinal or cinnamon taste than a mint taste.
5.Ingredients (for Oral B Gum and Enamel Repair Gentle Whitening)
- Glycerin – prevents paste drying out and moisturizes the mouth
- Hydrated Silica and silica– abrasives to buff away stains
- Sodium Hexametaphosphate – prevents stains and tartar build up
- PEG-6 – polyethylene glycol. Foaming agent
- Propylene Glycol – stabilizes the mixture
- Aqua – to dissolve soluble ingredients
- Zinc Lactate – antimicrobial
- Sodium Gluconate – helps to prevent gingivitis
- Aroma – adds smell
- Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS)- foaming agent
- Chondrus Crispus Powder and Xanthan Gum- thickeners
- Sodium Saccharin – artificial sweetener
- CI 77891 – titanium dioxide white pigment that makes teeth look whiter
- Trisodium Phosphate – stain remover and de-greaser
- Stannous fluoride – 1100ppm
- Stannous chloride – antibacterial
- Cinnamal and Limonene- flavouring
- Sodium Fluoride – 350ppm
- Eugenol – antiseptic and pain relief
- CI 74260 and CI 74160 – colourings
Oral B Gum and Enamel Repair is a great toothpaste for anyone who wants advanced protection against cavities and poor gum health.
As well as tackling both problems head-on, it provides long lasting protection against enamel erosion and bacterial build up. It gives gums a chance to recover from bacterial infection before new bacterial can develop. This is massively important if your gums have receded or pockets have developed between your gums and teeth.
If flossing is tricky for you, then try the new, fun and fast way to floss using a water flosser.
The only fly in the ointment is one or two questionable ingredients (SLS and propylene glycol) which are known irritants for some individuals.
Oral B Gum and Enamel Repair is not suitable for use by children under 12 as it has a high fluoride content.
- Oral-B Gum & Enamel Repair gentle whitening toothpaste for sensitive teeth helps rejuvenate gums and repair...
- Its unique Active Repair technology simultaneously helps rejuvenate gums with its antibacterial action, helps...
- For even more beautiful hair use with Herbal Essences bio:renew Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo.