CB12 Mouthwash promises to stop bad breath in its tracks and keep it at bay for 12 hours. It aims to completely neutralise the causes of bad breath using a patented formula. A number of clinical studies support these claims, but is it the right mouthwash for you?
Bad breath is a common problem. Most of us will suffer from it at some time and it can really knock your confidence. So finding an effective mouthwash for bad breath is an important step in dealing with the issue.
But it is important to understand the different causes of bad breath. This will help you decide if CB12 will deal with the problem in the most effective way.
So take a moment to read our concise summary of what causes bad breath. Then read on to see if CB12 could be the answer to your prayers.
We tackle these questions:
- What causes bad breath?
- What is CB12 Mouthwash and how does it work?
- Is CB12 Mouthwash right for me?
- How much does CB12 Mouthwash cost?
- Does CB12 have side effects?
- What else can I do to prevent bad breath?
What causes Bad Breath?
The main cause of bad breath is a build up of oral bacteria.
A tiny amount of what we eat and drink stays in our mouths. It feeds bacteria causing them to multiply. As bacteria process food debris and reproduce they give off smelly gases, aka bad breath.
The only way to eliminate this is to reduce the bacteria and neutralise the gases.
This is what CB12 aims to do (view on Amazon).
However, there are other reasons why you might experience bad breath.
Bad breath can also be caused by dry mouth (xerostomia). This is when saliva glands fail to produce enough saliva to moisten your mouth. It can happen due to:
- Medications: Particularly those treating anxiety, depression, high blood pressure and allergies as well as some cold remedies and pain medications.
- Health conditions: Especially diabetes, oral thrush, autoimmune diseases and strokes.
- Chemo or Radiotherapy
- Smoking, excessive alcohol and recreational drug use
If, after reading this, you feel dry mouth might be the cause of your problem, we recommend you check out Biotene Mouthwash. It relieves the symptoms of dry mouth (including bad breath). It also soothes and refreshes whilst gently cleansing the mouth and helping to replace saliva and encourage saliva production
Otherwise read on to find out what CB12 is and how it works to eliminate bad breath.
What is CB12 Mouthwash?
CB12 is a mouthwash that contains two active ingredients that are effective in treating bad breath.
How does CB12 Mouthwash work?
CB12 contains two active ingredients that work to neutralise bad breath. The first is chlorhexidine.
Chlorhexidine is regarded by the dental profession as the gold standard oral antibacterial. Not only does it quickly kill harmful bacteria, but it ‘sticks’ to mouth tissues to carry on working even after use.
CB12 also contains zinc acetate. This is clinically proven to neutralise the smelly gases (which form bad breath) given off by a buildup of harmful bacteria.
These ingredients complement each other by both getting rid of the smell and eliminating the cause of the smell. The persistent quality of chlorhexidine means it continues to work, even after the mouthwash has been spat out.
A study by the Journal of Breath Research demonstrated that, used correctly, CB12 can significantly reduce bad breath for up to 12 hours. And this can be extended to 24 hour protection if used twice a day (morning and night).
Is CB12 Mouthwash right for me?
- Uses gold standard oral antibacterial agent (chlorhexidine) to reduce the bacteria that cause bad breath
- Uses zinc acetate to neutralize odours
- Clinically proven to be effective (Check under the heading how can you tell CB12 is a credible product? After clicking on the link)
- Contains fluoride so helps to prevent tooth decay
- Provides protection for 12 hours
- Cool and mild taste
- Attractive packaging
- Cost (see current price)
- Chlorhexidine can cause teeth staining over time (see side effects below). There is a way around this which we cover later.
- Contains alcohol which can dry out the mouth
If you are currently worried about bad breath, CB12 is a great product for you to try.
It is more expensive than regular mouthwash. However, regular mouthwash is likely to mask the problem, rather than eliminate it.
The combination of ingredients in CB12 are widely regarded by the dental profession to be effective in dealing with the root causes of bad breath. And to have lasting effects.
If you are worried about potential staining (see side effects below), try CB12 White. It contains an ingredient that reduces staining in general.
What are the ingredients in CB12?
Active: Zinc acetate and chlorhexidine diacetate
Aqua, Glycerin, Hydrogenated Starch Hydrolysate, Alcohol, Sodium Flouride, PEG 40 Hydrogenate Castor Oil, Potassium Acesulfame, Cirtric Acid, Aroma
How do you use CB12?
- Measure out 10ml using the measuring cap (or pump measure on the 1 litre size)
- Rinse and gargle for between 30-60 seconds
- Spit the product out
- Use once a day for 12 hour protection, morning and bedtime for 24 hour protection
- Do not eat or drink for 30 minutes after use
Does CB12 have side effects?
CB12 mouthwash contains Chlorhexidine. Chlorhexidine can cause staining in high concentrations. However, the concentration in CB12 is very low at only 0.025%. This means it is unlikely to cause staining.
But since chlorhexidine remains in the mouth continuing to do its job, it can build up over time. If you feel your teeth are becoming stained after prolonged use, take a break from using it, or try CB12 whitening instead. It contains the same patented formula as CB12 with an additional anti staining ingredient.
Chlorhexidine can also cause you to temporarily lose your sense of taste. This is common with many washes and, as we have said, in low concentrations is less likely to have this effect.
CB12 also contains alcohol. Some people can experience dryness of the mouth due to the presence of alcohol in mouthwash.
How else can I protect myself against bad breath?
Mouthwash is no substitute for a good oral health routine.
- Floss daily, consider a water flosser – it’s the nooks and crannies between teeth that harbour food debris and bacteria. Brushes can’t reach these spaces. We recommend the Waterpik WP-660, which is consistently seen as the best water flosser on the market. It’s not for everyone as it is expensive at around £70, but in terms of value we think it’s worth it.
- Brush twice a day for two minutes
- Avoid strong tasting food and drink, alcohol and tobacco
- If the problem persists, visit your dentist
CB12 is formulated to put a stop to bad breath, and keep it at bay. It is clinically proven to be effective and contains gold standard ingredients to do its job.
It is a little more expensive than regular mouthwash. But regular mouthwash is more likely to mask bad breath than deal with the root cause.
Its active ingredient may stain over time, though it is in very low concentration so is unlikely to do so. CB12 Whitening is available if this is an issue for you.
However, if your problem is caused by dry mouth, CB12 is not the best solution. In this case, we recommend you try Biotene.
Find out more in our extensive article on the best mouthwash for bad breath.
Does CB12 contain alcohol?
Yes it does. For some people alcohol can cause dryness in the mouth. A lack of saliva in the mouth can make the problem of bad breath worse.
How does CB12 taste?
It has a minty taste
Can I use CB12 more than once a day?
CB12 can be used twice a day, morning and night, for 24 hour protection. This can help with that ‘morning breath’ issue.
Can children use CB12
It is not recommended for children under 12.
- Ensures first class breath through its powerful and unique patented formula
- Provides 12 hours protection thanks to its long-lasting effect
- Boosts confidence with its scientifically proven safe and effective action